8 Easy Steps To Organize Your Closet Like A Pro!
It's officially fall! Happy first day of fall, lovelies!!! As your personal stylist, I'm here to tell you there's nothing like a well organized closet. It just makes getting dressed in the morning so much easier and I guarantee you that it will also save you time. I have 8 easy steps to organize your closet like a pro! So set aside some time on a Saturday, grab a snack (and/or some wine), put on some music, and get to it!
If you find that you need assistance getting your closet in check I am more than happy to help! I have an online closet counseling service that will have you ready for fall.
- Gather the Things You Will Need
- 2-4 hours of uninterrupted time (it’s better to just keep going once you’re in the groove of things)
- Trash or shopping bags and label them as alterations, store, donate/cosign
- Full length mirror
- Organizing supplies (huggable hangers – good for keeping the shape of your clothes – get rid of all wire hangers!, storage bins, closet rod expander – I use this and it’s amazing!, vacuum sealed space saver bags)
- Set the Mood
- Clean your room! I don’t know about you but I find it hard to work in clutter.
- Good music! There’s nothing like good music to get you through a project that you may not really want to do but you should.
- Get to Work! – Try on Every Item in Your Closet
- Review all clothing items (tops, bottoms, & coats) and shoes. You are reviewing color (how it looks with your skin tone), style (is it current and flattering to your body type), and wear & tear (your fave pants that is ripping at the seams has to go! Unless of course it can be saved with minor alterations).
- The goal is to create an “active closet”, meaning only things that you wear should be hanging in it. All sentimental and clothes waiting to be worn until you drop those last 10 lbs should go somewhere else.
- Categorize Your Clothes
- While reviewing your clothes, use your trash or shopping bags to separate your clothes that need to be altered, stored, or donated/consigned.
- I recommend taking your clothes that need to be altered and donated or consigned the same day if possible. If not, the very next day. You want to complete your closet editing task and not have bags of clothes lingering around your room for days.
- Free Up Space
- Give your closet more room by storing off season outfits, dressy items that aren’t worn frequently, or sentimental pieces (such as your wedding gown) in another closet or area.
- You can use vacuum sealed bags to store off season clothing and easily slide the bags under your bed!
- Organize Your Closet for Maximum Efficiency
- Now that you have edited your closet like a pro, it’s time to put your clothes back in.
- Color coordinate from light to dark and group by sleeveless, short sleeve, and long sleeve. This will help make it easy to pull things together.
- If you don’t have a double rod closet, I would suggest getting a closet rod expander and hang your bottoms on the bottom and your tops on the top. This makes it easier to mix and match.
- Hang dresses in a space where they flow down without being crunched; jackets should hang in the back or a separate closet.
- Use matching hangers like, huggable hangers, to give your closet a boutique feel.
- Make Sure Scarves, Bags and Accessories Are Easily Accessible
- There are many creative ways to store and hang your scarves, bags and accessories. Adding accessories can really make an outfit but if they’re not visible you’re less likely to use them.
- Get Inspired!
- There are many different closet organization ideas on Pinterest. I love going through and finding creative ways to display my shoes and jewelry. Check out a few of my faves here!
If you live in the LA area and don’t have time to give your closet a cleanse or you simply would rather have someone else do it for you, send me a message using the contact me button on the left side of the page or the menu bar at the top of the page and I will be more than happy to lend my personal styling services to you!
Ready to take your style to the next level but you are not sure of exactly where to start?
Are you tired of spending money on clothing just to realize it really doesn’t fit the look you are going for? Allow me to assist you! I have 5 new virtual styling services. Check them out here and let’s get you started!