Getting back on track with my style series, The Revamp. The month of May will be all about building your work wardrobe. I remember my very first client as a personal stylist was a young lady who had just graduated from college and was looking for a job in corporate. She wanted me to shop and pull outfits together that she could wear to work but wouldn't age her and would still allow her to be stylish; all while dressing appropriately for the office.
It was then that I actually had to research style rules for the office. Because I work in corporate for a fashion retailer, we can get away with quite a bit. We have a very non-traditional office dress code. For those in a traditional corporate setting, you might want to review or get acquainted with the 9 style rules for the office I have listed below. You certainly don't want to be the reason HR sends an email to the company reminding everyone of the dress code.
For those of you who would rather watch the video of the style rules on my YouTube channel click here or scroll to the bottom and press play.
9 Style Rules For The Office You Need To Know
1. Be mindful of your neckline. Your neckline should not go 4” below your collarbone. You don't want to show too much cleavage.
2. No spaghetti straps! While sleeveless tops and dresses are approved for work, your top should extend to your shoulders.
3. Make sure casual Fridays are not too casual. You can pair a nice top with jeans and maybe loafers or mules. You can even show on a blazer, although it is not necessary. Just don't show up in sweats!
4. Take care of your personal hygiene. This should really go without saying but make sure all clothes are ironed, your hair is combed, and your clothes are the proper fit; not too big and not too small.
5. Don’t do too much. Don’t get carried away with mixing prints, bold patterns, trends, etc. If you're going to wear a bold print or pattern top, pair it with a solid color pant or skirt. If you wear a chunky statement necklace, keep your earrings simple.
6. Layer your sheer. Make sure all sheer tops are layered with a camisole underneath. I know sheer is in right now. In fact, it’s one of my favorite trends. However, there’s a time and place for everything. Save the sheer for after hours unless paired with a camisole.
7. Watch your hemline. We addressed necklines, now let’s talk about hemlines. Make sure your hemline is not shorter than 2-3 inches above the knee.
8. Fitted, not tight. I'm a curvy girl and I love showing off my curves. It's perfectly fine to wear a fitted dress or pant to the office. Stay away from all bandages dresses and those that have that same tight fit.
9. Appropriate makeup. You want to have a toned down makeup look. I'm definitely not saying that you shouldn't wear colored makeup. Go for it! I would just keep away from colors such a blue or greens; stick with shades of pink, purple, and natural tones.
Scroll below for more work office outfit ideas.