How To Master Airport Style In 5 Easy Steps
It’s the holiday season and that’s also known as the travel season. Whether you’re headed home to visit your family, the family of your significant other, or simply taking a much needed vacay, you may just find yourself in the midst of the airport chaos.
With everything going on (last minute packing, the stress of running errands before your trip, and the dreadful feeling that you might have forgotten something), you may want to resort to the comfy leggings, t-shirt, and UGG boots for the airport...DON’T! You never know if your luggage is going to be delayed so you always want to look put together. True story: I was traveling to Florida from LA for work with a few of my co-workers. When we landed we were told our luggage didn’t make the connecting flight. We had a business dinner scheduled shortly after we landed and we didn’t have time to wait for our luggage. Luckily, I traveled in style; and although it wasn’t what I had planned to wear, I definitely didn’t feel uncomfortable at the nice restaurant. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for one of my co-workers.
Or you’re oh so stylish so why not wear your lace up over the knee boots with your jeans and tee right? WRONG! This is a sure way to get deathly stares while you’re holding up the line getting in and out of your boots. And you don’t need that type of pressure anyway! Follow these 5 easy steps on how to master airport style to ensure your outfit is the perfect mix between comfy and fashionable.
1. Keep it simple and comfortable - Keep to the classics, neutrals, and pop in a statement piece or color. Remember, now is not the time to break in those new jeans or shoes.
2. Be practical or TSA friendly - If possible, wear a pair of pants that doesn’t require a belt. You also probably want to skip the flip flops. Although they are easy to slide off and back on you will have your bare feet where countless others have also had their bare feet. Stay away from chunky, statement jewelry.
3. Add layers - it’s always a bit chilly in the airport and on the plane. Be prepared by wearing a scarf or light jacket. Layering makes an outfit instantly chic and it can easily be removed if it gets a little warm.
4. Dress up your leggings - Leggings are super comfy so I understand why you would want to wear them while traveling. Try dressing them up with a cute pair of flats and a leather jacket. For additional style, throw on a fedora hat.
5. Wear comfortable shoes - If you must wear heels choose a pair with a modest heel, no more than 3”. Or opt for a block heel option rather than stilettos. My first choice would be flat boots/booties or a pair of fashionable sneakers.