How To Dress The Triangle (Pear) Shaped Body
Have no fear ladies, I have the ultimate guide for dressing your body if you are bigger on the bottom, aka triangle silhouette, aka pear shape. I've included must haves, clothes to avoid, and style tips for how to look the most flattering. But first, let's find out if you're truly a triangle.
How Do I Know If I Have A Triangle Silhouette?
Ok, I know you may be thinking that you can just look in the mirror and tell if you're bigger on the bottom, right? True enough, but there is a bit of a science to it. Let's take a look. You may be bigger on the bottom if you have these shared triangle traits:
- You have shoulders that are at least 2" smaller than your hips (or thighs)
- Your waist is approximately 8 to 12" smaller than your hips
- You typically wear smaller sizes on the top and larger sizes on the bottom
- You have an average to small bust
*Fun fact: most triangles think that they are an hourglass. I had to break the news to my mom that she's actually a triangle and not an hourglass. At first it didn't go over well; it actually became a debate. But she couldn't deny the facts :).
If this isn't your body type, don't worry because I will be going over all of the body types over the next few weeks. If you said "Yes, that's me!" after seeing the traits then keep reading, I have goodies for you!
The trick to dressing the pear shaped body is to create balance. Draw attention to your upper body while de-emphasizing your lower half.
- Wear tops in bright colors, prints, and horizontal stripes.
- Try wide necklines, such as scoop neck and boat neck, to broaden the shoulders. You can also try necklines that emphasizes the bust like the sweetheart neckline.
- The fit of your shirt or dress should be made to highlight your waist.
- Nothing should hit you at the widest part of your hips. All tops and jackets should hit above or below.
- Avoid details and embellishments on your hips and butt.
- With bottoms, go for darker colors in fits that are straight leg, bootcut, or flared.
Clothes To Avoid
- Low rise jeans
- Printed pants
- Light or bright colored pants
- Flap pockets
- Bootcut jeans (dark wash)
- A-line skirt/dress
- Light colored square neck top
- Structured jackets and blazers